The Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program is a prestigious scholarship opportunity designed to recognize and support exceptional undergraduate students pursuing careers in mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering.
Established in 1986, the program aims to foster the development of future leaders in these fields by providing financial assistance and cultivating a community of scholars dedicated to advancing scientific knowledge.
In this article, we will explore the award information, application deadlines, eligibility requirements, and how to apply for the Barry Goldwater Scholarship.
The Barry Goldwater Scholarship provides up to $7,500 per year to outstanding undergraduate students who exhibit exceptional promise in their chosen fields of study.
This merit-based award is intended to cover tuition, fees, books, and room and board expenses associated with the recipients’ education.
The scholarship is renewable for up to a maximum of two years for sophomores and four years for juniors, provided that the recipients maintain their academic performance and meet the program’s requirements.
The application deadline for the Barry Goldwater Scholarship is typically in late October, with the specific date varying depending on the discipline.
It is important for applicants to verify the exact deadline on the official program website (link provided below) to ensure they submit their applications on time.
Early preparation and careful attention to the requirements are essential to give applicants the best chance of success.
To be eligible for the Barry Goldwater Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
• U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status: Applicants must be U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or permanent residents.
• Undergraduate Status: Applicants must be full-time matriculated sophomore or junior students pursuing a degree at an accredited institution of higher education.
• Academic Standing: Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
• Intended Field of Study: Applicants should have a demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in mathematics, natural sciences, or engineering.
How to Apply
To apply for the Barry Goldwater Scholarship, applicants must submit a comprehensive application package that includes the following:
• The official Barry Goldwater Scholarship website (www.barrygoldwater.scholarsapply.org) provides an online application form where applicants can complete and submit their applications electronically.
• Applicants are required to write a research essay that showcases their scientific research or potential for future research in their chosen field. The essay should highlight their passion for the subject and their commitment to advancing knowledge.
• Applicants must provide official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Transcripts should demonstrate academic excellence and a strong foundation in mathematics, natural sciences, or engineering.
• Applicants must secure three letters of recommendation from faculty members who can speak to their academic achievements, research potential, and dedication to their field of study.
• Applicants must be endorsed by their home institution and receive official nomination from the faculty representative or scholarship advisor.
Can graduate students apply for the Barry Goldwater Scholarship?
No, the Barry Goldwater Scholarship is exclusively for undergraduate students who are pursuing their degrees at accredited institutions.
Are international students eligible to apply?
No, international students are not eligible for the Barry Goldwater Scholarship. Only U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, and permanent residents can apply.
What is the selection process for the Barry Goldwater Scholarship?
The selection process involves a rigorous review of applications by a panel of experts in the respective fields of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering. Finalists may be invited for an interview before the scholarship recipients are selected.
Can previous scholarship recipients reapply for the Barry Goldwater Scholarship?
Previous scholarship recipients are not eligible to reapply for the Barry Goldwater Scholarship. The program aims to support new candidates each year.