The Hertz Foundation Graduate Fellowship is a prestigious and highly competitive fellowship program that supports exceptional individuals pursuing graduate studies in applied physical, biological, or engineering sciences.
Founded in 1957 by John Hertz, the program has a rich history of nurturing groundbreaking research and fostering innovation.
In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the key aspects of the Hertz Foundation Graduate Fellowship, including the application deadlines, eligibility criteria, requirements, and provide you with the necessary information to apply successfully.
The Hertz Foundation Graduate Fellowship has an application deadline in late October each year. However, it’s important to note that the specific date varies depending on the discipline you wish to pursue.
It is recommended that you check the official Hertz Foundation website (https://hertzfoundation.org) for the most up-to-date and accurate deadline information.
Make sure to mark your calendars and plan ahead to ensure you meet the application deadline for your chosen field.
The Hertz Foundation seeks to identify exceptional individuals with the potential to make significant contributions to the applied sciences.
To be eligible for the Hertz Fellowship, you must meet the following criteria:
1. Citizenship: You must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the United States.
2. Field of Study: The fellowship is open to individuals pursuing graduate studies in the applied physical, biological, or engineering sciences.
3. Academic Excellence: You must demonstrate outstanding academic performance and a strong commitment to scientific research.
4. Undergraduate Status: You should be applying for the Hertz Fellowship before completing your first year of graduate study.
To apply for the Hertz Foundation Graduate Fellowship, you need to prepare a comprehensive application package that showcases your academic achievements, research potential, and commitment to advancing the applied sciences.
Here are the key requirements for the application:
1. Online Application Form: Visit the Hertz Foundation website (https://hertzfoundation.org) to access the online application portal. Fill in all the required information accurately and completely.
2. Transcripts: Submit official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
3. Test Scores: Provide official GRE General Test scores (verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing).
4. Research Proposal: Write a detailed research proposal that outlines your proposed area of study and its potential impact.
5. Recommendations: Arrange for three letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to your academic ability, research potential, and personal qualities.
6. Personal Statement: Craft a compelling personal statement that highlights your motivations, experiences, and aspirations.
How to Apply
To begin your application process for the Hertz Foundation Graduate Fellowship, follow these steps:
1. Visit the Hertz Foundation website at https://hertzfoundation.org.
2. Navigate to the “Fellowships” section and click on “Apply Now” or a similar link to access the online application portal.
3. Create an account if you’re a first-time user or log in if you already have an account.
4. Fill out the online application form, providing all the necessary information accurately.
5. Upload the required documents, including transcripts, test scores, research proposal, letters of recommendation, and personal statement.
6. Review your application thoroughly before submitting it.
7. Submit your application before the designated deadline.
8. Keep track of your application status through the Hertz Foundation’s online portal.
Can international students apply for the Hertz Foundation Graduate Fellowship?
No, the Hertz Fellowship is only open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.
Is there an age limit to apply for the Hertz Fellowship?
No, there is no specific age limit to apply for the fellowship.
Can I apply if I’m already enrolled in a graduate program?
No, the Hertz Fellowship is intended for individuals who have not yet completed their first year of graduate study.
How are Hertz Fellows selected?
The selection process is rigorous and involves multiple stages, including a comprehensive review of applications, interviews, and evaluations by experts in the respective fields.