Migrate to USA with Family-Based Green Card

Migrate to USA with Family-Based Green Card

The US immigration law allows certain foreign nationals who are family members of US citizens and lawful permanent residents to become lawful permanent residents (obtain a green card) based on specific family relationships.

Therefore, it is possible to migrate to the USA with a family-based green card.

Categories of Family-Based Green Card

  1. If you are an immediate family member of a US citizen, you can obtain a Green Card and be a permanent resident based on your family relationship.

Note that you are only considered an immediate family member if you are:

  • Spouse of a U.S. Citizen
  • Unmarried child under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen
  • Parent of a US citizen (if the US citizen is 21 years of age or older).


  1. Other family members eligible to apply for a green card fall into the following categories:
  • First Preference: Unmarried sons and daughters, age 21 or older, of U.S. citizens
  • Second preference: Spouses and children (unmarried and under 21 years old) of lawful permanent residents
  • Third Preference: Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens
  • Fourth Preference: Brothers and Sisters of US Citizens (If the US Citizen is 21 years or older)

Requirements for the Family-Based Green Card

There are specific criteria that must be met to sponsor a relative to immigrate to the United States. They are as follows:

  • Applicant must be able to prove that they are a U.S. citizen.
  • There must be a qualifying relationship between you and the beneficiary.
  • As a sponsor, you must file an I-130 Petition for Foreign Relative and show that you can support the person (s) 125% above the poverty line.
  • Please note that by bringing the family member to the United States, you accept the responsibility to support them financially.
READ This:  Fully Funded Scholarships in UK For International Students

Documents Required for Different Family Categories

Depending on how the immigrant is related to the US permanent resident, the document required will vary

For Spouses

The required document is as shown below;

  • Form I-130.
  • Form G-325A (one for the applicant and one for the husband or wife).
  • Form G-325A, 1st page
  • A photocopy of the marriage certificate.
  • A certificate confirming that the previously concluded marriages of the applicant and his wife or husband are currently invalid.
  • Photo (passport format).
  • A certificate confirming the change of the name of the applicant and his wife or husband.
  • Certificate of citizenship.

For Children

To reunite US citizens with their children, the following documents must be prepared;

  • Form I-130
  • Certificate of United States citizenship.
  • A photocopy of the child’s birth certificate (relevant for the biological mother).
  • A photocopy of the marriage document.

For Parents

To reunite a US citizen with his parents, you must provide;

  • Form I-130.
  • A photocopy of the birth certificate.
  • Certificate of citizenship.

For Bride/Groom

If the couple has not yet formalized their relationship, then to reunite in the United States, the foreign person must apply for a bride or groom visa. It is important to keep in mind that a bride or groom visa is not an immigration visa.

The main condition for obtaining a bride or groom visa is proof that the future spouse is a US citizen. An equally important criterion is the absence of obstacles to marriage.

Obtaining a bride or groom visa allows you to enter America and stay on its territory for 90 days. During this time, young people must get married. After that, the foreigner has the right to apply for a Green Card.

READ This:  Fully Funded Scholarships in Australia for International Students

Migrate to USA with Family-Based Green Card

Obtaining a United States immigrant visa is a rather complicated process. To obtain a visa, you must seek help from a relative who is a citizen of the American state. The relative agrees to send an application to the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.

You need to send this application by regular mail. An immigration petition is required to attach documents of both an American citizen and a foreigner wishing to immigrate to the United States.

If the petition is approved by the consulate, the foreigner will receive a written notice indicating the date of the interview.

All documents must meet the criteria of the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.


Now that you understand the process involved in migrating to the USA with a family-based green card; you should consider sharing this with your colleagues online. Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Back to top button